Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Nashville Day #2

I wanted to blog last night, but I was super tired so you all will have to suffer. My bad :-p

So my night with Candida was fantastic. We stayed up pretty late just catching up (I haven't seen her since high school!) and it was nice to have somewhere warm to sleep! She showed me around the city and we took a ride down Music Row...crazy to see everything all in one place. It was a lot to take in! After our little tour I decided to drive past the Grand Olde Opry and spend some time at the Opry Mills mall. I was there once before but that was several years ago so I thought it'd be worth my time to check it out again, and also try to do some Christmas shopping (which was an unsuccessful mission, by the way). I forgot how awesome the Rainforest Cafe is. I didn't stop and eat because I didn't feel like paying (it's my inner Jew) but the atmosphere is so cool. I didn't really shop, just sort of people watched. However, I had to check out this hippie store there and I ended up chatting with one of the employees, who (surprise!) is a musician as well. It's just neat that everyone here has a story. Everyone is from somewhere else going somewhere else and they're all excited to help others out along the way.

One of the highlights of my day was when I got into the car after walking around the mall. My first day here my key got stuck in the ignition of my car for no reason and by some act of God, I was able to remove it yesterday. Yay for the small victories! Also, my car hasn't fallen apart so that's also super exciting. Yay Francesca!

There were really only two things on my agenda yesterday: find an open mic for the night and find a place to stay. I was more concerned about the latter of the two so after the mall I went and checked in at the Hostel right in downtown Nashville. It's cheap and I'm pretty sure this is where all the broke musicians go when they're staying here. As I was checking in, I ran into the Canadian guy I met at the Bluebird Cafe, so it was nice to see a familiar face (if only a day old familiar face lol). He came with me to the open mic last night but left early because his flight back home was early this morning. Hope he had a safe trip back!

I heard a few people at the Bluebird say they were going to go to the Douglas Corner Cafe the following night so that's where I decided I would go. I should've called in earlier to get a slot though because I ended up being dead last on the list. I think it worked out well though; I stayed for a couple hours listening and then was able to get to bed at a decent time. I ended up sitting next to this comical guy that played the first round. He sang a song called "Catfish" that was about an experience he had meeting a woman online that wasn't as she appeared to be...he was giving me all this free music of his and kept wanting to buy me drinks. A little creepy, but I think he meant well. Nonetheless, I was glad I was able to leave whenever I wanted. lol

I came back to the hostel, watched some Southpark, and fell asleep in the middle of the episode. Timothy, I didn't watch another episode of Breaking Bad without you. The things I do for love...

No comments: